Don’t get me wrong hostels are amazing, they give you the chance to stay somewhere for a fraction of the cost you would pay for a hotel. So instead of spending all your money on accommodations you can spend it exploring the city.
With hostels costing a fraction of the price compared to a hotel, they sometimes provide you with the bare minimum i.e. a bed, sheets and shower.
So here is my hostel essential packing list.
1. Towel: Anyone who saw the Buenos Aires episode knows how important towels are to me. Also most hostels make you pay for towels if you don’t have your own. Travel towels are good for saving room. I am still on the fence about how I feel about them they sometimes feel like you’re drying your body with a bed sheet.
2. Flashlight: Especially helpful if you’re staying in a dorm hostel and don’t want to turn on the light and wake everyone up. Kat prefers to use a head light so she has two free hands.
3. Flip-flops: For the shower, do I need to say more?
4. Pillowcase: May not be an essential one for everyone, but I like having that piece of home with me/I like to know where my pillowcase has been.
5. Febreeze: I have to say this is Ellie’s essential item. Sometimes when faced with a sketch bag hostel spraying down the sheets with Febreeze provides you with a sense of security from bed bugs. To see Ellie’s hostel ritual check out our Buenos Aires episode.
6. Lock: Many hostels provide lockers. Bringing your own lock is helpful so you don’t have to purchase one.
7. Hanging Toiletries Bag: I am not going to lie sometimes when I am staying at a hostel I wish I were a dude. I wouldn’t need to worry about lighting for make up, straightening my hair, or where to put my toiletries in the shower. I can’t help feeling disdain as I see guys go past me to use the shower carrying a towel, one bar of soap while having one hand free to high five other guys down the hallway. Okay perhaps the high-fiving part is all taking place in my mind, but you catch my gist. I trek to the bathroom carry a overflowed toiletries bag with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razor, shave gel, face wash, face cream. Carrying a hanging bag that can hang on the shower head saves time from you constantly bending over to pick up the products you dropped in the shower.[fblike style=”standard” showfaces=”false” width=”450″ verb=”like” font=”arial”] Like